Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Love is in the Mucky, Mosquito-Infested Air

So no real news today, but some funny shenanigans.

Firstly, Batwillet has a friend! Possibly a lady-friend! This did not mellow him out one bit today, though. In fact because he had a friend I had 2 squawky neighbors. This displeases me. 6 hours of squawk-ridden data collection is not my friend.

Secondly, as the title suggests, I stumbled upon more marsh couples. 2 more, in fact. Both mating mud crabs. Which is the most awkward and hilarious thing I've seen in a while. Unfortunately I brought my camera but not my cable, so I do have pictures but they'll have to wait.

Piiictures! See the crab on top?

For those unfamiliar with crab anatomy, their reproductive bits are underneath them, on their bellies. Males have a plate that kinda looks like the eiffel tower, whereas females have a broader plate where the eggs sit once they've been deposited. Crab eggs kinda look like a sponge. It's weird.



Suffice to say, to get crab sex, imagine 2 crabs, then flip one upside down, and smack their bellies together. It's kinda like a freaky Transformer but really they're just making babies. Oh yeah also there were mating blue crabs yesterday! They don't do it that way though.

Sorry if this post was a bit too raunchy. Isn't nature beautiful?

2 comments:

  1. Your description of crab sex makes me imagine someone picking up 2 crabs and smacking them together, like how some kids try to make dolls kiss. Kind of hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude yes that is exactly how it works. EXACTLY.

      Delete